BERRIEN CLARK EATON, president of the Eaton Clark Company, manufacturers and importers of chemicals and dyestuffs and the most important concern of its kind in the state, is a representative of the third generation of the family to be at the head of this old and well known establishment, and occupies the same office where his grandfather and father preceded him, since 1849. Mr. Eaton was born in Detroit, August 3, 1893, a son of Theodore Horatio, (Jr.), and Eliza Walton (Clark) Eaton and grandson of Theodore H. Eaton who, in 1838, founded the business which was known until 1911 as Theo. H. Eaton & Son. Theodore Horatio Eaton was born in Schenectady, New York, January 16, 1842, and was just four months old when the family home was established in Detroit in May of that year. He died November 6, 1910. His children were: Theodore Horatio, Jr., who died in infancy; Margaret Montgomery, who was married April 17, 1920, to John Weeden Grout of New York city; and Berrien C., of this review.
Berrien C. Eaton attended the Detroit University School for three years, having remained a student there until 1905, after which he entered St. George’s School at Newport, Rhode Island, where he continued his studies for three years. In 1908 he entered the Lawrenceville School at Lawrenceville, New Jersey, from which he was graduated in 1911, and in the fall of that year he entered Williams College as a member of the class of 1915. With his return home Mr. Eaton became city salesman for the Eaton-Clark Company and in 1919 became purchasing agent, in which capacity he still serves. Mr. Eaton succeeded his cousin, Rufus W. Clark, now of Pasadena, California, to the presidency on February 12, 1920, and also, at the same time, was elected president of the Rainbow Color & Chemical Company, wholesalers of acids, the latter concern having been established in 1899. Mr. Eaton also acts as trustee of the estate of Theodore H. Eaton, and is president of the Eaton Land Company.On the 15th of August, 1917, Mr. Eaton was married to Miss Gladys Hambleton of Chicago, daughter of Earl Lander and Eleanor (Fargo) Hambleton, the former now deceased, while the latter is yet a resident of Chicago. Mr. and Mrs. Eaton have one son, Berrien Clark, Jr., born February 12, 1919, in Chicago. Their new home is on Bishop Road, in the village of Grosse Pointe Park, and their summer home is at Kingsville, Ontario.
In his political views Mr. Eaton is a republican and his religious faith is that of the Episcopal church. He belongs to the Detroit Club, Detroit Automobile Club, Detroit Symphony Society, University Club, the Williams Club of New York city, the Chemists’ Club of New York eity, and the Society of Colonial Wars in the State of Michigan, in which latter organization he is now serving his second term as a gentleman of the council. He is also a member of the Sons of the American Revolution, the Detroit Board of Commerce, the Williams Alumni Association of Michigan, the Lawrenceville Alumni Association of Michigan and the Kappa Alpha Society. He was a charter member and secretary of the Detroit Polo Club, which introduced polo to this city in the fall of 1916 and which passed out of existence in 1917 with the adoption of polo by the Country Club. Mr. Eaton is one of the foremost figures in this line of sport in Detroit and gives this as his chief source of recreation.
When the United States entered the World war Mr. Eaton entered the first officers’ training camp at Fort Sheridan on the 11th of May, 1917, and there remained until the 15th of August, winning a commission as second lieutenant of the Field Artillery Reserve Corps. He was at once assigned to the Three Hundred and Thirtieth Field Artillery of the Eightyfifth Division, at Camp Custer, and was with Battery A of that regiment until April 16, 1918, when he transferred to the Headquarters Cavalry Troop of the Eighty-fifth Division, with which he sailed for France on the 22d of July, 1918. On the 19th of September he was commissioned first lieutenant and continued to serve with the same organization until February 10, 1919. This division took part in the operations of the Second army against the Germans between the Meuse and Moselle rivers, November 9-11, having been a part of the Meuse-Argonne campaign which terminated with the armistice. Mr. Eaton returned to the United States on February 24, 1919, and received his honorable discharge at Camp Dix, New Jersey, two days later.
The City of Detroit, Michigan, 1701-1922, Vol. 3, edited by Clarence Monroe Burton, William Stocking, Gordon K. Miller, The S.J. Clarke Publishing Co, Detroit-Chicago, 1922, pp 196-197
August 3, 1893
Plot: Section I